Lead Underwriter, E&S Property - Lower Middle Market - Wholesale
Axis Capital Holdings Limited
This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital – a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
At AXIS, we believe that we are only as strong as our people. We strive to create an inclusive and welcoming culture where employees of all backgrounds and from all walks of life feel comfortable and empowered to be themselves. This means that we bring our whole selves to work.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodation is available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
Lead Underwriter, E&S Property - Lower Middle Market - Wholesale
AXIS’ Wholesale Lower Middle Market department is seeking a dynamic individual for a rare opportunity to become part of a highly respected team of professional underwriters who are building out a highly visible strategic Lower Middle Market Excess & Surplus (E&S) Property business unit.
Under Executive Vice President (EVP) and Senior Vice President (SVP) supervision, the individual will act within established guidelines to actively market, analyze, review, evaluate and monitor new and renewal accounts that fall within the $25,000 to $100,000 premium range.
The Vice President, Wholesaler Lower Middle Market E&S Property will be a hands-on Property underwriter and leader with a history of success within a top-tier Commercial Insurance Carrier exhibiting a strong sense of urgency and exercising sound judgment in the development, processing and management of E&S Property book of parallel size and scope.
Ideal Candidates should have a background working with Wholesale Brokers targeting Non Admitted E&S Property accounts with premiums of $25,000 to 100,000. Candidate must have full life cycle exposure to portfolio management across; solicitation of submissions, underwriting analysis, preparing, and issuing indications/quotations/binders, and marketing.
Additionally, the candidate must have an executive presence, demonstrating success in communicating, influencing, and building solid relationships that add value to the AXIS business book and contribute to longer-term strategic initiatives.
The individual will be naturally suited to working in a fast-paced team environment and should be recognized for their strength in business and technical analysis, client relations, integrity, and the highest level of work ethic.
The individual will drive business results through strong new GWP Targets and renewal underwriting analysis, very active engagement with new and long-term client relationships, and collaborative engagement within the team and with other internal business partners.
This position is based in Alpharetta, GA working a hybrid schedule that requires a minimum of three predetermined days in the office along with travel to attend industry, broker and company events.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwrite a profitable book of complex surplus lines E&S Property risks employing the appropriate analytical diagnostics to assess acceptability.
- Expertise in analyzing E&S property pricing adequacy.
- Ability to negotiate terms and conditions in a highly complex and competitive environment with a broad range of wholesale brokers and facultative reinsurance markets.
- Advanced analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Underwriting and developing a profitable book of business in support of strategic business plans while retaining diversified mix of business in order to achieve overall growth and profit objectives.
- Developing a countrywide marketing strategy that recognizes the risk appetite of the E&S property and the wholesale brokers that produce desirable accounts to meet new business goals.
- Support changes to long-term and short-term business strategies with the ability to adjust quickly in order to effectively achieve profitability goals.
- Make recommendations to EVP/SVP regarding market strategy, product development and departmental efficiencies.
- Stay up-to-date on national, state, and regional issues/regulations, industry activity and trends.
- Mentor less experienced staff and assist in the development of ongoing underwriting training.
- Responsible for special underwriting projects and presentations as requested by EVP/SVP.
Required Education/Training & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required. CPCU, ARM, and/or ASLI designations are a plus.
- A minimum of ten years E&S Property or complex Property experience.
- Strong negotiation and business development abilities. Established wholesale broker relationships are highly desired.
- Advanced technical expertise, underwriting skills and a high level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
- In-depth knowledge of the E&S Property lines of business and legal and regulatory guidelines, to include demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of a progression of positions with increasing responsibility.
Other desired skills and characteristics:
- Strong communication, negotiation, influencing and presentation skills
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners.
- Strong wholesale broker relationships
- Ability to effectively analyze and assess risk and develop creative solutions
For this position, we currently expect to offer a base salary in the range of $165K to $230K. The specific salary offer will be based on an assessment of a variety of factors including the experience of the successful candidate and their work location. In addition, all employees are eligible for competitive incentive targets, with awards based on overall corporate and individual performance. On top of this, we offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package which includes medical plans for employees and their families, health and wellness programs, retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, and much more.