Associate Underwriter - Public Entity - Core Specialty Leaders in Training
The Associate Underwriter - Public Entity is part of our Core Specialty Leaders in Training, leadership development program. This is an exciting, full-time rotational program for graduating university seniors and early career professionals.
The Core Specialty Leaders in Training Program is a two-year, three rotation program designed to help you develop the technical competencies and leadership acumen to kick-start your career. You'll have the opportunity to do a deep dive and build expertise in your chosen track by getting to experience rotations in different areas of your function.
You worked hard to achieve your dream of obtaining a college degree, now it's time to do the same as you launch your career in Core Specialty's Leaders in Training Program. We believe that the best way to figure out where you want to go in life is to try new things. Let us give you the opportunity to explore an exciting career path in a supportive and encouraging environment where every ambition is within reach.
Our Leaders in Training program is designed to help you build your career as a leader of tomorrow. As a participant in this program, you will have the opportunity to build deep professional, company and industry expertise through meaningful assignments, networking and real-world experiences.
Job Description - Associate Underwriter - Public Entity
The Underwriting Associate will assist with the examination and analysis of submissions from broker partners. This will be done to determine if submissions fit within Core Specialty’s Excess Public Entity appetite and subsequently to determine appropriate limits, attachment point, pricing and terms that will provide Core Specialty with adequate underwriting profit on each risk.
Key Accountabilities & Deliverables:
Execution of Excess Public Entity business plans and objectives including:
- Enhance Core Specialty's reputation and presence in the market.
- Build underwriting expertise by training with the VP of Excess Public Entity.
- Provide prompt and accurate customer service on policy transactions.
- Ensure all risks considered and bound are within delegated authority, underwriting standards, risk selection, peer review and pricing methodologies.
- Provide documented evidence of underwriting activities and decisions in files as required.
- Support Company and Department goals and objectives.
- In addition to the above key responsibilities, you may be required to undertake other duties from time to time as the Company may reasonably require.
- Carry out duties within our internal policies and procedures in accordance with applicable law, rules, regulation, good governance, and Core Specialty's shared values, including putting clients at the heart of our business.
Technical Knowledge & Understanding:
- Knowledge of casualty underwriting industry
- Knowledge of policy wordings and clauses
- Familiarity with casualty underwriting practices, coverage, and pricing/rating methodologies
- Familiarity with insurance company operations
- Familiarity with producer and competitor marketplace
- Enthusiasm for learning about targeted industries
- Enthusiasm for learning about company systems, procedures, and processes
- Enthusiasm for learning about rating and underwriting tools available
- College senior or graduate student for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Will have successfully completed a degree in risk management or insurance by June 2024.
- Working towards or willing to pursue an industry designation such as CPCU, CRM, ARM, CIC
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without current or future sponsorship.
At Core Specialty, you will receive a competitive salary and opportunities for professional development and advancement. We offer medical, dental, vision, and life insurances; short and long-term disability; a Company-match of 100% of a 6% contribution 401(k) plan; an Employee Assistance Plan; Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, Health Reimbursement Account, and a wellness program