Associate Equine Underwriter
Great American Insurance Group
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty and property and casualty operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
At Great American, we value diversity and recognize the benefits gained when people from different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work collaboratively to achieve business results. We are intentionally focused on fostering an inclusive culture and know valuing diversity is an essential leadership quality. Our goal is to create a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered and enabled to perform at their best.
Great American's Equine Mortality Division is one of the world's leading providers of equine mortality insurance and related coverages. The division is staffed with experts in all breeds and disciplines such as racing, showing, cutting, dressage, hunter/jumper, driving, reining, saddleseat and pleasure riding. Great American has one of the most comprehensive and unique product portfolios available for horse owners, as the coverages can also be stacked, making each policy customizable for the client's specific situation. For clients who elect Full Mortality coverage, Great American also offers Major Medical, Surgical and various other endorsements that can be useful in protecting our policyholders' investments.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Has accountability for the administration and monitoring of underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations. Reviews, documents and/or underwrites new and renewal policy transactions within written authority.
- Proofs / audits policy information on an assigned product, territory and/or agency(ies).
- Ensures premium and loss data are reviewed on an individual account as part of renewal underwriting, change underwriting, or mid-term underwriting.
- Uses independent judgement and initiative to support business goals.
- Has accountability for the review of insurance applications and other risk documentation. Reviews underwriting requirements and refers applications, endorsement requests, or other correspondence for further underwriting analysis when outside of written authority.
- Verifies coverage limits, performs necessary calculations, and completes other checks before processing policies.
- Ensures rejection / denial of risk is communicated when deemed appropriate and not handled by automated means.
- Orders, reviews, and takes appropriate action on required reports, endorsement requests, service requests, and general correspondence.
- Analyzes individual risk pricing for new business submissions and renewals within written authority.
- Effectively communicates with agents, brokers, and customers to obtain information needed to underwrite risks and address issues. Researches and responds to questions from agents.
- May support senior underwriter(s):
- Gathers information on new and renewal business and change requests to support underwriter decision making.
- Organizes the underwriting information to speed decision making on the part of the underwriter.
- Investigates discrepancies in the information gathered.
- May provide information to Processing that is needed to issue policies and endorsements on a timely basis. May issue, process, or code transactions.
- Participates in other departmental processes / projects, such as changes / enhancements to forms and screens, user acceptance testing for systems and policies, and reviewing impact to current policies / practices.
- May lead the work of others (trains, mentors, prioritizes, delegates and reviews assignments) and provide guidance to less experienced staff and serve as a resource to other functional areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Associate Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Business, Liberal Arts or a related discipline.
Experience: Generally, 1-6 years equine experience preferred.
Business Unit:Equine Mortality
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits for full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees.