Underwriting Trainee- Graduate Development Program
Great American Insurance Group
National Interstate is a member of Great American Insurance Group. As one of the leading commercial transportation insurers in the nation, we offer risk financing solutions in all 50 states tailored to meet the needs of a wide variety of transportation classes. Our offerings include traditional insurance and innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs, including more than a dozen group captive programs catering to niche wheels markets. We are proud to be a multiple Northcoast 99 winner and Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio. It is because of our talented and dedicated team that we are able to live out our company values of integrity, transparency, fairness, accountability, empowerment and collaboration with each transaction we make. If you are ready to join an engaging and driven team such as ours, we would love to hear from you!
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Participates in/performs activities related to risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per divisional objectives.
Learns to use independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
Learns to maintain a high level of customer service.
Learns to analyze coverage and limit requests and to decide what terms to offer.
Learns to price business in accordance with company guidelines.
Learns to assess risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and to initiate appropriate loss prevention actions.
Learns to order and screen miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
Learns to develop and maintain effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
Interprets, explains, and markets products and services.
Develops relationships with agents & brokers through telephone interactions.
Learns to apply underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
Successfully completes all coursework/education as assigned.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Develops skill and knowledge in initiating contact with current and prospective new business partners.
- Learns to market the company's products/services through interaction (correspondence, phone, in person, digital media, etc.) with agencies, brokers, or clients.
- Tracks statistics on prospect lists, hit ratios, business retention, and new business production.
- Learns to develop and employ innovative, creative, and resourceful methods for achieving new business development.
- Learns to work collaboratively with management to develop, monitor, and adapt a business/marketing plan for area of responsibility and to support division goals.
- Develops knowledge in skill in the developing agency business goals.
- Learns to support underwriting in fact gathering, underwriting, and pricing of renewals.
- Learns to prepare reports to analyze and develop existing business profile/mix and the quality and quantity of new business.
- Develops knowledge and skill in building strategic relationships with business partners (clients, agents, brokers, producers) to achieve targeted profit goals of the division.
- Regularly corresponds and visits with clients, agencies and brokers. Monitors the delivery of excellent customer service and follows-up on any customer concerns that need to be addressed.
- May learn to assist with coordinating/transferring books of business and ongoing contract management.
- Learns to identify issues/potential issues and triages to appropriate staff to resolve.
- Develops knowledge and skill in providing continuing education and support to assigned agents regarding company products, programs, eligibility guidelines, risk, and pricing philosophy.
- May participate in preparing/distributing promotional correspondence (newsletters, pamphlets, et.) and/or marketing collateral to existing and potential agents and/or customers.
- Learns to plan and host both internal and external events to achieve area/regional marketing initiatives.
- Learns to maintain familiarity with competitors and market conditions. May learn to gather, analyze, and maintain competitive information. May assist with maintaining a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database to improve services or target marketing efforts.
- Develops knowledge and skill in collaborating with Underwriting, Product Development, Product Management, and Corporate Communications to develop marketing initiatives, new products, and the supporting marketing materials. May participate with other business units on cross-marketing efforts.
- May attend industry and association events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
National Interstate and Vanliner’s Graduate Development Program, Ignition
During the program you will:
- Participate in instructor led, self-paced and on-the-job training, gaining a true understanding of what it is National Interstate does and how your role fits in the big picture.
- Become immersed in our company culture by learning our business model and value proposition.
- Gain exposure to other areas of the business outside of your discipline through interactive presentations from industry experts.
- Sharpen professional skills through weekly personal development trainings.
- Develop your professional network with leaders and fellow participants through weekly teambuilding and social activities.
The program is taking place in June 2024. The role will be expected to work in the Richfield, Ohio office.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Field of Study: Business, Liberal Arts or a related discipline.
Experience: Typically part of a formal training program. 0 to 6 months of experience.
Scope of Job: Performs work under close supervision and technical direction. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Develops working knowledge of business systems and processes used to perform the functions of the job. Works within narrowly defined limits and authority on assignments of low complexity. Position requires occasional travel.
- Requires prolonged sitting.
- Requires continuous use of computer.
- May lift, carry, push, or pull objects up to 10 lbs.
- Requires regular and predictable attendance.
Company:NIC National Interstate Corporation
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits for full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees.