Senior Underwriter - Remote (ME, VT, NH, MA, CT, RI, NY)
Great American Insurance Group
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty and property and casualty operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
At Great American, we value diversity and recognize the benefits gained when people from different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work collaboratively to achieve business results. We are intentionally focused on fostering an inclusive culture and know valuing diversity is an essential leadership quality. Our goal is to create a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered and enabled to perform at their best.
- Arts and Cultural
- Community Services
- Education and Day Care
- Family Services and Counseling
- Food Distribution and Thrift Stores
- Foundations and Grant Making
- Recreation and Sports
- Youth Services
To learn more about our Specialty Human Services division, clink this link: https://www.greatamericaninsurancegroup.com/for-businesses/division-details/specialty-human-services
Our Specialty Human Services division is looking for a Senior Underwriter or Underwriting Specialist to join their team. The lines of coverage include package, auto, and umbrella. The person hired for this position will be fully remote. We are only looking for candidates who reside in the following states: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, or New York.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Responsibility for risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per divisional objectives.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Analyzes coverage and limit requests and decides what terms to offer.
- Lines of Business include; package, auto and umbrella.
- Prices business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Orders and screens miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Interprets, explains, and markets products and services.
- Develops relationships with agents & brokers through telephone interactions.
- Administers, applies, and may update underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- Provides technical advice to lower level associates and other functional areas.
- May have responsibility for performance and coaching of staff and may have a participatory role in decisions regarding talent selection, development, and performance management for direct reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Field of Study: Business, Liberal Arts or a related discipline.
- Experience: 3 to 8 years of related experience. May be in the process of obtaining or may have already completed certification in area of expertise.
- Occasional travel to assigned territory 2-4 times annually
- Non-profit/social service industry experience preferred but not required
Business Unit:Specialty Human Services
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits for full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees.