Production/Senior Production Underwriter - E&S Property
Great American Insurance Group
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty and property and casualty operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
At Great American, we value diversity and recognize the benefits gained when people from different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work collaboratively to achieve business results. We are intentionally focused on fostering an inclusive culture and know valuing diversity is an essential leadership quality. Our goal is to create a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered and enabled to perform at their best.
Great American Risk Solutions writes a diverse mix of property and casualty business, both primary and excess. Risk Solutions writes mostly non-admitted business, partnering with leading wholesalers. We focus on specialized solutions for a diverse market.
Our team members at Great American Risk Solutions display strong personal character, integrity, and honesty. We are driven champions of change and focus on results. We emphasize teamwork, collaboration – among underwriting, claims, and shared services teams – and continuous development of interpersonal and technical skills.
We are currently looking for a Senior Production Underwriter, Production Underwriting Specialist or a Master Production Underwriter to handle E&S Property accounts in the Great American Risk Solutions Division. This individual will have responsibility for risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per the divisional goals. This is not a management role, but this individual will have mentoring and coaching responsibilities with the staff. This position will either be based in our Cincinnati, OH headquarters, which offers a hybrid work environment, or completely remote.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Has responsibility for risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per divisional objectives.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Analyzes coverage and limit requests and decides what terms to offer.
- Prices business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Orders and screens miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as loss history reports, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal coworkers and brokers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Visits brokers in order to retain existing accounts, build and maintain business relationships, and develop new opportunities in support of divisional objectives.
- Interprets, explains, and markets products and services.
- Applies underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- May provide guidance and assistance to lower level associates.
- May have responsibility for performance and coaching of staff and may have a participatory role in decisions regarding talent selection, development, and performance management for direct reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.
- Generally, 5 to 10+ years of related experience in Excess and Surplus (E&S) Property lines are required.
- Experience with Recycling, Woodworking, and Light Manufacturing Risks preferred.
- Primary and Lead Quota Share Experience preferred.
- Completion of or progression towards Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation, is a plus.
- Ability to travel to visit with brokers.
- Must have strong communication skills to build and leverage excellent customer relationships and to successfully market products and services.
- Must have strong hands-on experience with various computer systems including rating systems, MS Word and Excel, Outlook, etc.
Business Unit:Great American Risk Solutions
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits.