Associate Underwriting Supervisor
Great American Insurance Group
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty and property and casualty operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
At Great American, we value diversity and recognize the benefits gained when people from different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work collaboratively to achieve business results. We are intentionally focused on fostering an inclusive culture and know valuing diversity is an essential leadership quality. Our goal is to create a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered and enabled to perform at their best.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- May have responsibility for the performance and coaching of staff and may have a participatory role in decisions regarding development, hiring, firing, performance management, pay increases, etc., for direct reports.
- Has accountability for the administration and monitoring underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations. Supervises the review, documentation, and/or underwriting of new and renewal policy transactions.
- Supervises the proofing of policy information on an assigned product, territory, and/or agency(ies).
- Ensures premium and loss data are reviewed on an individual account as part of renewal underwriting, change underwriting, or mid-term underwriting.
- Has accountability for the review of insurance applications and other risk documentation. Ensures basic underwriting requirements are reviewed. Ensures that applications, endorsement requests, or other correspondence are referred to underwriting for further analysis as needed.
- Oversees verification of coverage limits, performing necessary calculations and completing other checks before processing policies.
- Ensures rejection / denial of risk is communicated when deemed appropriate and when not handled by automated means.
- Ensures that staff orders, reviews, and takes appropriate action on required reports, endorsement requests, service requests, and general correspondence.
- Supervises the analysis of individual risk pricing for new business submissions and renewals within written authority.
- Ensures effective communications with agents, brokers and customers to obtain information needed to underwrite risks and address issues. Supervises the research and responses to questions from agents.
- Oversees other departmental processes / projects, such as changes / enhancements to forms and screens, user acceptance testing for systems and policies, and reviewing impact to current policies / practices.
- Ensures that issuance, processing or coding transactions are completed in a timely manner.
- May oversee agent training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Field of Study: Business, Liberal Arts or a related discipline.
Experience: Generally, 3 to 5 years related experience, including 0 to 2 years of leadership experience. Progression toward certification in area of expertise preferred; appropriate certifications could include Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS) or Associate of Risk Management (ARM).
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits for full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees.