Non-Profit Senior Underwriter - Remote
Great American Insurance Group
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty and property and casualty operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
At Great American, we value diversity and recognize the benefits gained when people from different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work collaboratively to achieve business results. We are intentionally focused on fostering an inclusive culture and know valuing diversity is an essential leadership quality. Our goal is to create a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered and enabled to perform at their best.
For more than 35 years, Great American’s Specialty Human Services Division has provided insurance solutions to the human and social service marketplace. The division is one of the first insurance companies to recognize the special needs of these organizations. Over the years, coverage and services have expanded to ensure expertise to meet the evolving needs of this marketplace. Coverage is available for hundreds of classes of business, including:
- Arts and Cultural
- Community Services
- Family Services and Counseling
- Food Distribution and Thrift Stores
- Foundations and Grant Making
- Recreation and Sports
- Youth Services
To learn more about our Specialty Human Services division, clink this link: https://www.greatamericaninsurancegroup.com/for-businesses/division-details/specialty-human-services
Our Specialty Human Services division is looking for a Senior Underwriter, Underwriting Specialist or Master Underwriter to join their team. The lines of coverage include Abuse or Molestation, Commercial Auto, Crime & Employee Dishonesty, Data Compromise, Equipment Breakdown, GL, Inland Marine, Professional Liability, Commercial Property, Umbrella and Excess Liability.
The person hired for this position will be fully remote. We are only looking for candidates who reside in Illinois, the Southeast states, or the Mid-Atlantic states.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Has responsibility for risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per divisional objectives.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Analyzes coverage and limit requests and decides what terms to offer.
- Prices business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Orders and screens miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Interprets, explains, and markets products and services.
- Develops relationships with agents & brokers through telephone interactions.
- Applies underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- May provide guidance and assistance to lower level positions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Business, Liberal Arts or a related discipline.
- Generally, 3 to 10+ years of related experience.
- Non-profit/social service industry experience preferred.
- Multi-line underwriting experience required.
- Progression toward certification in area of expertise preferred; appropriate certifications could include Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS) or Associate of Risk Management (ARM).
- Ability/willingness to travel to Cincinnati 1-2 times a year.
- Ability/willingness to travel to visit agents/brokers at least once a quarter.
*Pay is dependent on the candidate’s background, experience, and geographical location.
Business Unit:Specialty Human Services
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits for full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees.