Property & Inland Marine Underwriting Intern - Year Round
Great American Insurance Group
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty and property and casualty operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
At Great American, we value diversity and recognize the benefits gained when people from different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work collaboratively to achieve business results. We are intentionally focused on fostering an inclusive culture and know valuing diversity is an essential leadership quality. Our goal is to create a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered and enabled to perform at their best.
Our Property & Inland Marine division is looking to hire an Underwriting intern for our Orange, California office for the Spring of 2024.
Our intern program provides students the opportunity to learn about technology in the insurance industry, as well as experience Great American’s corporate culture that values integrity, leadership, customer focus and accountability.
Reasons to join our team:
- Work in a team environment, where your ideas can be shared, and you can impact the company
- Gain real work experience that you can apply in the classroom
- Opportunities to network with other interns, employees, and executives
Our intern program is responsible for developing the fundamental skills to support our underwriting teams. The intern will:
- Learn to review and evaluate information for various types of businesses to determine appropriate classification and pricing methodologies
- Work closely with experienced underwriters to learn customer service skills and standards
The program includes a combination of activities, aimed at giving the intern a full understanding of the underwriting discipline.
Activities and rotational assignments may include:
- Job shadowing
- Reading assignments on various topics including, insurance products such as commercial automobile, general liability, property and workers compensation, as well as general topics such as, business ethics, legal system, negotiation and human relations
- Case studies involving actual underwriting files
- Learn and perform functions related to the underwriter (technology and tools)
- Research supporting information for the underwriting team via various systems
- Assisting with tasks that support the underwriting process
- Ability to work a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- Working on Bachelor’s Degree with a 3.0 minimum GPA
- Proven leadership skills through extracurricular activities, internships/co-ops, or work experience
- Superior verbal/written communication and analytical skills
Business Unit:Property Inland Marine
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits for full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees.