Senior Production Underwriter - Excess Casualty
Great American Insurance Group
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty and property and casualty operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
At Great American, we value diversity and recognize the benefits gained when people from different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work collaboratively to achieve business results. We are intentionally focused on fostering an inclusive culture and know valuing diversity is an essential leadership quality. Our goal is to create a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered and enabled to perform at their best.
The Excess Liability Division specializes in offering large limits of liability to protect its clients' corporate assets from catastrophic loss.
The Division offers significant capacity of both Lead Umbrella and Excess Liability placements. This protection is made available to companies varying in size from single location light hazard risks to a wide variety of more difficult to place manufacturers and processors.
Our Excess Liability Division is looking for a Senior Production Underwriter to join their team in Dallas, TX.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Has responsibility for risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per divisional objectives.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Analyzes coverage and limit requests and decides what terms to offer.
- Prices business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Orders and screens miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Visits agents, brokers, and producers in order to retain existing accounts, build and maintain business relationships, and develop new opportunities in support of divisional objectives.
- Interprets, explains, and markets products and services.
- Applies underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- May provide guidance and assistance to lower level associates.
- May have responsibility for performance and coaching of staff and may have a participatory role in decisions regarding talent selection, development, and performance management for direct reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.
Generally, 6 or more years of related experience. Progression toward certification in area of expertise preferred; appropriate certifications could include Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS) or Associate of Risk Management (ARM).
- Experience underwriting excess lines of business preferred.
Business Unit:Excess Liability
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits for full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees.