Underwriting Associate, Property
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
Position Summary: The Underwriting Associate in our Specialty Property & Marine unit is responsible for handling the administration of our Marine insurance policies, endorsements, invoices, and our facultative reinsurance purchases for our specialty property business. In addition to policy processing, this position will provide support and assistance to underwriting staff. Responsibilities include, collecting data for organizing reports, assisting underwriters in technical review, and performing administrative duties regarding new and renewal accounts, and any other tasks assigned by higher level underwriters.
- Assists underwriters with technical review and analysis of all new and renewal business.
- Identifies and requests additional information required to complete analysis.
- Assists in the preparation of experience/exposure analyses to provide quantitative data for the underwriting decision process.
- Responsible for maintaining underwriting submission inbox.
- Prepares quotes, processes premium coding and issues policies and endorsements on instruction from underwriters.
- Set up and maintain policy files, follow up for outstanding subjectivities and process mid-term policy changes.
- Maintain professional communication with underwriters, as well as outside production sources, agents and brokers.
- Assists with special projects and other tasks assigned by higher level underwriters.
- Acts as liaison between underwriting and accounting as directed.
- Performs other related duties as required to achieve the goals and objectives of the company and department.
- Maintain necessary processing manuals and/or other reference materials in order to appropriately process assigned work.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the company.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company-sensitive data.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within underwriting.
- Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Basic understanding marine and property insurance practices.
- Experience with policy wording and endorsement issuances.
- Basic understanding of insurance accounting and claims.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics or Engineering is strongly preferred.
- Experience as an Underwriting Assistant within Marine or Commercial Property, a plus.
In New York City, NY the pay range for this role is $50,000 - $70,000. This role may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program. The specific offer will depend on an applicant’s skills and other factors. This range is specific to New York City, NY and may not be applicable to other locations.
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights