Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
The Underwriting Manager manages daily operations of the underwriting process. Implements underwriting strategy and operational policies for product lines. An Underwriting Manager oversees the review and approval process for decisions and recommendations related to complex accounts. Defines and establishes procedures for risk criteria, application and renewal, and acceptance and rejection. Additionally, the Underwriting Manager develops underwriting team expertise with coaching, support, and educational programs.
- Develops and executes strategic initiatives that support profit, growth, retention, and customer service objectives.
- Creates, analyzes, and interprets data from various reports.
- Allocates underwriting authority for staff, establishing their ability to accept risk, determine pricing and coverage, and place reinsurance if needed.
- Provides assistance in underwriting of difficult, complex accounts and resolves issues beyond the authority level of underwriting staff.
- Provides leadership, direction, and management in risk selection process beyond the capacity of underwriting staff.
- Responsible for production, profitability, and relationships with brokers.
- Provide support to ensure accurate and timely servicing of accounts.
- Assesses agency performance and work closely with the Director of Business Development to recommend appointment or cancellation of brokers.
- Determine and lead delivery of training and development based on individual, and department needs – Coaches, develops and provides feedback to associates.
- Monitor, track, and analyze the effectiveness of broker partners.
- Develop and implement underwriting procedures and guidelines used for the Hudson Binding team.
- Coordinate the tasks of executive underwriters, senior underwriters, and underwriters who work as part of the underwriting team.
- Provide additional support when requested, especially on complex accounts, or when working with new hires.
- Provide training opportunities for new underwriting professionals and following up throughout the probation period to ensure their work is on trac with target goals.
- Conduct quality control by reviewing policy decisions, creating reports, and analyzing aggregate data about underwriting performance and current risk levels.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years of Excess and Surplus lines property and casualty underwriting experience.
- 3+ years of program management experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- AIS, ASLI, AU and CPCU designations or completion of other insurance related classes is preferred.
- Good analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule (work-from-home and in office).
- Ability to travel up to 35% of the time within assigned territory or to industry events as required.
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights