Program Underwriter, Surplus Lines
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
The Program Underwriter will help develop and seek out profitable insurance program business while managing a select number of program administrators to drive profitable growth in Hudson’s GL programs division. This targeted segment has a focus on commercial property and casualty risks preferably delivered on an excess and surplus lines basis countrywide. This position involves individual account underwriting of those risks falling outside delegated underwriting authority, with a focus on enhancing relationships and building a profitable book of business.
- Support the review and oversight of various MGA-written property and casualty insurance programs.
- Handle basic underwriting referrals on a one-off basis.
- Work with actuarial and program management in the evaluation of program performance and work to establish measurable actions plans for improvement where needed.
- Participate in the performance and documentation of audits of program administrators.
- Establish clear underwriting guidelines assigned programs and represent the company’s interests in managing day-to-day interaction with MGA underwriters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 8+ years of Excess and Surplus lines property and casualty underwriting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- AIS, ASLI, AU and CPCU designations or completion of other insurance related classes is preferred.
- Familiarity with underwriting concepts and basic actuarial, finance, and reinsurance terms.
- Ability to review and edit underwriting property and casualty underwriting guidelines.
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule (work-from-home and in office).
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time within assigned territory or to industry events as required.
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights