Senior Underwriter, Commercial Property
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
Hudson Insurance is seeking an underwriter who is driven and motivated and has a strong desire to work in Specialty Property. The Senior Underwriter Property will work in our Specialty Property and be responsible for the technical risk analysis and the development of modeling and pricing tools and portfolio management of property risks. This position is a management level underwriting role requiring approximately 10 + years of prior commercial property underwriting experience. The position utilizes strong analytical, leadership and communication skills to form and maintain productive and profitable business relationships.
- Builds and adapts analytical analysis to each risk using Microsoft Excel advanced functions and other software, tools and systems.
- Models natural catastrophe exposures as well as fire, both on an individual risk basis and at the portfolio level.
- Manages portfolio of risks with a goal of portfolio and returns maximization.
- Performs other related duties as required to achieve the goals and objectives of the company and department.
- Calculates rates and premiums from approved decrement tables.
- Builds knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within commercial property underwriting.
- Performs other related duties as required to ensure the integrity of underwriting activities and processes and achieve the goals and objectives of the company and department.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel including all functions (e.g. pivot tables and formulas).
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Access Database is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the company and with external contacts.
- Ability to work on teams effectively and possess a team oriented work style.
- Strong ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company-sensitive data.
- Bachelor’s degree with a preference for math or engineering focus
- 10 years of commercial property underwriting experience.
In New York City, NY the pay range for this role is $140,000-$170,000. This role may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program. The specific offer will depend on an applicant’s skills and other factors. This range is specific to New York City, NY and may not be applicable to other locations.
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights