Senior Underwriter, Commercial Auto
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
The Sr. Underwriter role is responsible for providing support to Hudson’s Independent Contractors Program with technical review, rating and other underwriting duties regarding new and renewal Commercial Automobile accounts written exclusively by Hudson’s Independent Contractors Program as well as other tasks assigned by Sr. Management.
- Determine and recommend acceptable pricing and terms, within underwriting authority, on new and renewal business referrals from Agents/ Brokers.
- Maintain compliance with state loss costs, rules and form filings.
- Leverage existing relationships as a production source to grow the Program.
- Meet all divisional servicing objectives including but not limited to quote turnaround, phone management, file maintenance and documentation.
- Monitor claims reports to manage frequency and severity trends and claims costs.
- Expand current portfolio of business by developing or expanding relationships with new and existing Agents/ Brokers
- Stay current on competition, underwriting environment, and market conditions and share that knowledge within the division.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Underwriting skills and background pertinent to Commercial Auto Insurance.
- Primary Casualty background with a focus in Trucking Programs.
- Independent Contractor Trucking experience desirable.
- Existing Agency/ Broker relationships capable of producing business.
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Experience with and technical knowledge of primary casualty insurance coverage including risk selection, methods and pricing.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong negotiation, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Excellent time management skills
- Team oriented attitude and approach
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Excel and Word)
- Bachelor's or advanced degree;
- 10+ years casualty underwriting experience
In addition to Indianapolis and Chicago, this role is open to candidates in Cincinnati, Cleveland,Columbus, Nashville, and St. Louis.
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights