Executive Underwriter, GL
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
Position Summary:The Executive Underwriter will provide technical assistance in the Home Office Underwriting Department on special projects, product development, form and endorsement development, underwriting audits, corporate initiatives, training and development and product specific research while also acting as a referral authority, mentor and trainer to the underwriting team.
- Handle account referrals outside of individual underwriter authority
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions to drive profitable growth and achieve business objectives
- Assist with mentoring and coaching of new associates and less experienced team members
- Assist with development and facilitation of technical training classes
- Assist in the overall development and communication of underwriting appetite
- Assist with developing and refining Underwriting and Pricing Guidelines
- Assist with new product development efforts to include initiation, research and implementation of new products as well as product/process enhancements
- In coordination with the management team, participate in the development and execution of annual business plans for the division to include a profitable underwriting strategy
- Lead research projects on trends impacting our business
- Participate in book profitability analyses and corresponding action plan development
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends and conditions to guide our business and achieve objectives
- Lead the Underwriting Audit/Quality Control (QC) process to drive underwriting quality
- Daily review of ‘bound’ new business to confirm the unit is maintaining underwriting integrity
- Assist in the development of forms and endorsements and lead the coordination with Claims and Legal to finalize wording
- Lead and participate in projects and initiatives as assigned by underwriting leadership
- Other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years of Excess and Surplus lines property and casualty underwriting experience.
- Strong research skills and project management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Advanced knowledge of insurance principles, rates, rules, forms, procedures, regulations, coverages, and business processes.
- Proven ability to mentor and train personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- AIS, ASLI, AU and CPCU designations or completion of other insurance related classes is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule (work-from-home and in office).
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time within assigned territory or to industry events as required.
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights