Senior Underwriter, Surplus Lines
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
Position Summary:The Senior Underwriter will help to grow Hudson’s Brokerage Lite business segment. The Senior Underwriter is responsible for identifying areas of opportunity and growing new and renewal brokerage lite business by developing and maintaining long-lasting relationships with wholesale brokers across a defined geographic region.
- Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements, and other transactions.
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
- Review and access all loss information relative to new and renewal business opportunities.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various systems and underwriting resources.
- Assess producer performance based on profitability, growth, quality of submissions, bind ratios and other key performance indicators.
- Build and maintain relationships with wholesale distribution partners to maximize opportunities and drive profitable growth.
- Analyze market conditions and provide suggestions for needed changes in forms, endorsements and rates including opportunities for market or product expansion or enhancement.
- Maintain profitable book of business including monitoring book for trends, profitability, and growth.
- Assist with training, coaching, and mentoring of new or less-experienced team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years of Excess and Surplus lines primary property and casualty underwriting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- AIS, ASLI, AU and CPCU designations or completion of other insurance related classes is preferred.
- Highly developed marketing skills.
- Entrepreneurial and hands-on approach.
- Working knowledge of MS Office products, including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Ability to make timely decisions with appropriate information and consultation.
- Independently exhibit initiative with strong focus on results.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule (work-from-home and in office)
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time within assigned territory or to industry events as required.
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights