Senior Underwriter, Commercial Auto Programs
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
Position Summary: The Sr. Underwriter role is responsible for providing supporting Hudson Programs Administrators with technical review, rating and performing duties regarding new and renewal Commercial Automobile accounts written exclusively by select Program Administrators as well as other tasks assigned by Sr. Management
- Determine and recommend acceptable pricing and terms, within underwriting authority, on new and renewal business referrals from Program Administrators.
- Underwriting audit review support of Program Administrator business focused on risk selection, pricing adequacy, compliance with underwriting and regulatory guidelines and file documentation
- Track and maintain compliance with state loss costs, rules and form filings.
- Meet all divisional servicing objectives including but not limited to referral quote turnaround, phone management, file maintenance and documentation.
- Develop and manage monthly reports on program results, rating variables, unit level pricing and premium growth as well as manage reports from the Program Administrators database system
- Monitor claims reports to manage frequency and severity trends and claims cost
- Expand current portfolio of business by developing or expanding relationships with new and existing Program Administrators
- Stay current on competition, underwriting environment, and market conditions and share that knowledge within the division.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Underwriting skills and background pertinent to Primary Casualty insurance
- Primary Casualty background with a focus in Commercial Automobile
- Has the potential if not the skills to cultivate and manage Program Administrator relationships.
- Requires advanced knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Demonstrates experience with and technical knowledge of primary casualty insurance coverage including risk selection, methods and pricing.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong negotiation, analytical and decision making skills.
- Excellent time management skills
- Team oriented attitude and approach
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Excel and Word)
- Bachelor's or advanced degree;
- 5+ years casualty underwriting experience
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights