Underwriting Assistant, Alternative Risk Solutions
Hudson Insurance Group
Headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada, Hudson is a market-leading specialty insurer that offers a wide range of property and casualty insurance products to corporations, professional firms and individuals through retailers, wholesalers and program administrators.
Hudson underwrites specialty primary and excess insurance on an admitted basis through Hudson Insurance Company and on a non-admitted basis through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company. Hudson Insurance Company is admitted in all U.S. jurisdictions. Hudson has surplus lines eligibility in all U.S. jurisdictions through Hudson Specialty Insurance Company and Hudson Excess Insurance Company.
Hudson Crop is a unit of Hudson Insurance Group that provides a broad range of crop insurance products to farmers in all 50 states.
Collectively known as Hudson Insurance Group, its companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, Financial Size Category XV. Hudson Insurance Group is the U.S. Insurance Division of Odyssey Group, a leading worldwide underwriter of reinsurance and specialty insurance and wholly-owned by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
Position Summary: The Technical Assistant (Underwriting Support) is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to assigned underwriting files in accordance with established guidelines and business objectives for data quality and service levels.
Hudson’s Alternative Risk Solutions unit specializes in creating innovative insurance products for captives, self-insureds and other businesses that need to show evidence of coverage or issue certificates to third parties from an “A+” rated carrier. With a special focus on underserved markets and difficult specialty risk placements, Hudson offers Fully Funded products to help an insured achieve its risk management goals and objectives in a cost-effective manner.
- Performs data entry, data calculations/computations, and generates reports using a variety of business systems
- Performs necessary calculations and updates accounting records
- Processes all cancellations and policy reinstatements accurately and timely in accordance with established guidelines
- Prepares files for underwriting review by performing final screening and pre-coding, and attaching any required underwriting documentation
- Maintains all electronic and paper filing for assigned underwriting files
- Communicates successfully with underwriters and brokers for verification and qualification of information and to request information required to be part of the underwriting file
- Examines applications, endorsements, and renewals for completeness and accuracy
- Edits, verifies, and identifies policy errors and notify the appropriate parties
- Identifies trends in service issues and communicate to management
- Promptly responds and investigates underwriting, broker, and policy holder service requests and other various correspondences
- Processes internal and other correspondences and requests received by the underwriting department (this may include, but is not limited to, error reports, sorting and distributing mail, and follow-ups)
- Confirms experience with prior carriers, drafts experience letters, documents information on the system, and refers files to underwriter as required
- Interprets customer service requests and gather relevant information to allow for quick and accurate processing of inquiries
- Applies best business practices towards national service and quality standards and policies
- Review of bound business for compliance with company guidelines
- Conduct Underwriting Audits
- Review and evaluation of renewal business on a monthly basis
- Underwrite small to medium sized risks
- Bachelor's degree
- 5-7 years of experience working as an underwriting assistant
- Strong analytical skills
- Teamwork orientated
- Ability to effectively and independently manage workload while exhibiting sound judgment
- In depth understanding of insurance mechanisms, policy wordings, risk exposure, and cat modeling tools
- Proficient in Microsoft Word
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel including all functions e.g. mathematical formulas and pivot tables
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within and outside the company
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company-sensitive data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, interpret, and apply data/information from a variety of sources
- Ability to evaluate simple problems and develop solutions within underwriting guidelines
- Ability to work as a member of a team; good interpersonal skills
- Accurate and detail oriented
- Goal and results oriented
Navigate the links below to learn more about careers at OdysseyRe.
Follow us on LinkedIn for company highlights