Sr. Underwriting Support Specialist, Ocean Marine
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary purpose of the Sr. Underwriting Support Specialist is to serve as an integral member of the underwriting team fulfilling basic underwriting responsibilities. This position will handle day-to- day client servicing including underwriting issues and managing workflow to ensure the client has a superior experience. This role allows production underwriters to focus on broker relationships and business development. Position is responsible for underwriting less complex renewal business and develops into handling less complex new business. Supports attainment of written premium goals, loss ratio, and growth opportunities of team by providing backup to underwriters and superior customer service.
- Manage renewal business under limited supervision of an Underwriter and move to writing new business - prepare analysis of exposure and present to Underwriter for signoff.
- Gather and review information on financial conditions, risk exposure, loss history, and economic trends that may impact the terms and conditions offered to the client.
- Extract internal data and research external information to identify trends impacting product line.
- Provide forms/coverage interpretations and advice on additional coverage needs, understand and evaluate exposures, and underwrite policy change requests.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/information in account management system and adherence to documentation standards.
- Ensure accuracy of information inputted into all appropriate systems and verify that all necessary documentation is in the file.
- Maintain current and continue to develop new effective relationships and/or regular contact with clients and build strong relationships with employees across the organization.
- Seek cross selling opportunities.
- AINS designation preferred.
Work Experience/Skill Sets
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to solve problems, work independently and juggle many tasks simultaneously in addition to comfortably interacting with people in small groups and social situations
- Ability to follow process and attention to details.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrates analytical skills and the ability to exercise sound business judgment.
- Willingness to work toward CPCU.
- Intermediate level of proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams:
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on No other URL should be trusted for job Markel Group Careers.
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.