Underwriting Support Specialist - Binding
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary purpose of this position is to perform various functions that support Underwriting. This position requires good organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to clearly communicate (both written and verbal) to customers, Underwriting, and other departments. This associate must maintain a high accuracy rate while handling a high volume of tasks that relate to generating reports, archiving documents into an imaging system, emailing correspondence to requestor, and handling various other tasks. This associate must have a solid understanding of the end-to-end Underwriting process, various policy administration systems, various imaging systems, and have the ability to support multiple product lines and/or Underwriters. This associate also works under direct supervision but also capable of taking some independent action and may have some limited underwriting authority following standard processing procedures.
- Serve as point of contact for agents/brokers by gathering information on behalf of the underwriters, answering questions, resolving low complexity issues, facilitating overall serving of accounts and processing business transactions not requiring review/signoff by an underwriter.
- Take necessary measures to obtain information needed to finalize inquiries/transactions and maintain a suspense and follow-up system for outstanding underwriting items.
- Ensure accuracy of information inputted into all appropriate systems and verify that all necessary documentation is in the file.
- Routinely communicate with team members, agents/brokers and other key business partners to research and gather necessary information to review, analyze and complete transactions.
- Utilize and adhere to internal guidelines, procedures and service standards to ensure that all assigned work/transactions are processed in a timely manner (yet accurately) and meet compliance standards.
- Participate in problem solving activities to define problems, identify root causes, design and test solutions, implement solutions, and utilizes continuous improvement methodologies to improve processes & procedures in an effort to work more efficiently & effectively and permanently eliminate problems.
- Under Underwriter direction, attached appropriate forms and makes policy changes as requested.
- Establish, support, and maintain effective relationships and/or regular contact with clients and build strong relationships with employees across the organization.
- Participate in special projects and other duties as assigned to assure efficient operation of the team, customer needs are met, and business results are achieved.
Work Experience/Skill Sets
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to follow process and attention to details.
- Willingness to work toward insurance designation (AINS)
- Intermediate level of proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on No other URL should be trusted for job Markel Group Careers.
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.