Markel Underwriting Trainee Program
Join us and play your part in something special!
Imagine working for one of the world's best companies, Markel Corporation in a premier training program designed to challenge and equip you for one of the most rewarding careers on the planet - property and casualty underwriting! This dream can be a reality at Markel for college graduates in June 2024. Deploy your record of high achievement, self-motivation, relationship building and solid work ethic into an amazing career path at Markel. As an Underwriting Trainee, you will learn technical underwriting skills, effective presentation and marketing skills, and build strong core competencies required for the future of insurance. You will gain broad exposure to our company’s operations and digital technologies. You will enjoy personalized training from our company's top leaders in this highly visible role.
What we're looking for:
- College graduate as of June 2024;
- Strong academic performance (3.00 GPA minimum), excellent presentation and leadership skills;
- Strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to analyze and reason through complex problems and make sound recommendations in a fast-paced environment;
- High energy self-starter, good decision maker with an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Solid time management skills;
- Computer savvy- experience with MS office suite;
- Competitive nature and strong desire to win;
- Candidates who have extraordinary potential and share our passion to live The Markel Style. It's our core value which underpins how we do business, while influencing our behavior and exceptional performance.
- Available to start work in June 2024.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the USA without sponsorship now or in the future.
Application items to be uploaded (please do not submit an application until all items are available):
- Unofficial transcript
- Essay (300 words max) describing a time you demonstrated the Markel Style.
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors. The salary range for the position is $30-38/hr. with a 10% bonus potential.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information.
Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on No other URL should be trusted for job Markel Group Careers.
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.