Underwriting Assistant, Contract Underwriting
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary responsibility is to support the Underwriter’s by maintaining accurate and up to date underwriting files, prepare various Surety Documents and reports to facilitate the Underwriters decision making process. This position requires positive, professional interaction with not only the team members in the department, but also with the Company’s clients as well as personnel in other departments within the Company. Underwriting Assistants are expected to help develop and maintain successful relationships with clients and personnel in other departments within the Company, by providing excellent service, resolving issues, and developing rapport. Strong written and verbal communication skills, positive attitude, effective organizational skills and a commitment to excellent customer service are required.
- Provide direct support to Underwriters
- Issue and invoice bonds
- Accurately set up and maintain structure of underwriting files in a timely manner – including scanning and naming of documents
- Prioritize and process incoming business email, mail, overnights, hand deliveries in a timely manner
- Accurately process outgoing forms and letters as directed by the Underwriters
- Prepare indemnity agreements and other miscellaneous agreements
- Maintain suspense calendar other follow up procedures
- Maintain successful Client relationships with agencies – Provide excellent customer service, resolve issues, develop rapport, assist with use of proprietary systems
- Follow specific written & verbal procedures
- Set up new submissions, bond and credit files in the system
- Close all types of files – billing of additional/return premiums at closeout of bond files
- Backup for answering phones and reception duties
- Perform special projects and others tasks as assigned by supervisor
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- This position requires full time in office
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on Markel Group Careers. No other URL should be trusted
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.