AVP, Underwriter, Global Re (Open to Remote)
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary purpose of this position is to underwrite casualty facultative new business and renewals in a profitable manner and according to authority level and established guidelines, and drive projects having an impact on the business. The underwriter should possess the ability to be assigned complex accounts. Utilize underwriting models and actuarial resources to price casualty facultative business in accordance with established guidelines. Knowledgeable in coverage forms and policy language, including reinsurance contract language. Develop positive working relationships with assigned brokers through maintaining established service standards and providing thoughtful solutions to casualty facultative reinsurance opportunities. Promotes the growth and development of less experienced underwriters and fosters teamwork.
- Managing all aspects of broker and client management including marketing, negotiating, and underwriting new and renewal accounts.
- Evaluate complex accounts associated with underwriting casualty facultative business.
- Conducting research and development of underwriting approaches to emerging risks.
- Proactively resolves problems and anticipate issues that affect production and loss ratio objectives
- Acts as a product resource within the company by communicating information on casualty facultative market developments.
- Provide broker and client service including assisting in underwriting audits.
- Traveling to meet broker representatives and clients, and to industry conferences.
- Through marketing efforts, ensure that Markel Global Re is capitalizing on all viable reinsurance opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or incumbent should have completed 8+ years in an underwriting capacity
- Completion of an insurance designation
- Possesses a high and extensive level of technical product knowledge
- Possesses optimistic, flexible outlook
- Demonstrates proficiency in underwriting complex accounts
- Track record of establishing broker and/or client relationships
- Willingness to travel to meet with brokers and clients, and attend industry meetings
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on Markel Group Careers.
All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.