Senior Underwriter, Inland Marine
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary purpose of this position is to underwrite new business and renewals in a profitable manner and according to authority level and established guidelines, and participate in special projects having an impact on the business. Assigned larger and more important agents/brokers. Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges. Understand state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within each state. Knowledgeable in coverage forms and policy language; appropriate utilization of forms and exclusions. Assist with resolving premium audit disputes within assigned agents/brokers. Able to provide coaching to others.
What you'll be doing:
- Profitably underwrite existing complex wholesale inland marine business and new business to include reviewing, analyzing, accepting, and declining risks;
- Proactively communicate with regional managers and national ocean marine product line leaders on individual accounts, current and proposed producers;
- Inform business decisions by making recommendations concerning operations, systems and procedures;
- Review submissions and identify exposure and risk from information provided;
- Review terms, conditions and pricing;
- Implement corrective measures on renewal accounts as needed;
- Provide training or technical assistance to department underwriting staff;
- Monitor producers for profitability and production.
What we're looking for:
- Four-year college degree preferred;
- Minimum of 3 years current complex wholesale inland marine;
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of progression of positions of increasing responsibility;
- Experience in the wholesale channel with established producer relationships;
- Demonstrated marketing and relationship building skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills;
- Team player that enjoys a flexible and spontaneous business environment;
- Up to 25% travel in the Southeast US.
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on No other URL should be trusted for job Markel Group Careers.
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.