Underwriter Fine Art & Specie (US)
At Markel, we believe that what we do really matters. And that every one of us has the power to make a difference. To us, insurance is more than a piece of paper. It’s a promise to help people get back on their feet. It’s a commitment that gives people the courage to take chances. And in uncertain times, it’s the fuel that moves the world forward.
Since the very start, we’ve used our ingenuity to insure risks that others can’t.
Finding smart solutions to complex problems, so people can live their lives and seize opportunities.
Our style is about focussing on people’s needs, not just words on a page. It’s about building relationships and connecting as humans. And ultimately, it’s about being there for people when they need us most.
In our eyes, our journey is just beginning. Together, we’re building a business that supports more people, in more places. But unlike our peers, we’ll never lose our people-first focus as we grow. Because you will always be what makes Markel special. And what continues to power this business forward.
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) is a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
Find out more by visiting our websites:
About the team:
The Marine Division is based in London but has some limited representation in other key business locations. We accept risks in the areas of Hull, Cargo, War, Specie, Liability and Terrorism on a world-wide basis. We are leaders in several of our chosen areas and require a commitment to technical expertise and accuracy to maintain this leadership role. A great emphasis is placed on the relationship between the insured and insurer with a focus on meeting clients and producers in their home territories. Business is written through both Markel Syndicate 3000 and Markel International Insurance Company Limited.
What we ask of you:
- Underwrite new business and renewals in a profitable manner and according to authority level and established guidelines.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Understand state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within each state.
- Knowledgeable in coverage forms and policy language; appropriate utilization of forms and exclusions.
- Liaison on behalf of underwriting team with operations team.
- Assist with resolving premium audit disputes within assigned agents/brokers.
- Mentor and coach colleagues and new team members.
What you will bring to the role:
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of 1-2 years current Fine Art & Specie underwriting experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Industry designation or professional degree preferred.
- Desire and ability to improve Markel’s position in the domestic marketplace through external engagement and communication.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that contribute to product line clarity.
- Ability to deliver compelling presentations to any audience.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Must be a collaborative, team player that can provide creative solutions to problems and enjoys a flexible and spontaneous business environment.
- Travel as required when appropriate.