Join us and play your part in something special!
In this role the underwriter will be responsible for producing and underwriting business from new and existing broker relationships. Agency development and management via agency visits and association events. Continual management of a quality book of business, as well as accurate underwriting documentation. Basic knowledge on bond form language, contract review, rating, and indemnity discussions.
What you'll be doing:
Primary responsibilities, with assistance where needed from Branch Manager, include:
- Underwrite contract bonds adhering to Markel Surety’s underwriting philosophy, appropriately assessing the risk presented and properly managing that risk and
- Conduct all forms of marketing to strategically build a profitable book in a designated territory. The underwriter is to have the knowledge and apply the skills required of this position, including knowledge of required and normal ratios, risks associated with various types of construction activities, competition’s underwriting attitudes and industry norms for all issues. The underwriter is the source for knowledge and information concerning bonding.
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's degree
- Working towards or completion of ASFB
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly
- Strong team player mentality
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on No other URL should be trusted for job Markel Group Careers.
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.