Underwriting Specialist/Executive Underwriter: Environmental & Energy
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary purpose of this position is to underwrite new business and renewals in a profitable manner and according to authority level and established guidelines, and drive projects having an impact on the business. Assigned larger, more important and more complex accounts. Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges. Understand state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within each state. Knowledgeable in coverage forms and policy language; appropriate utilization of forms and exclusions. Promotes the growth and development of less experienced underwriters and fosters teamwork.
The ideal candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated producer relationships in Texas.
What you'll be doing:
- Review, analyze, accept, and decline risks to ensure profitability for Markel.
- Assigned larger and more meaningful brokers, and will work on more complex accounts.
- Underwrite and select new business that will produce an underwriting profit.
- Manage the existing renewal book and implement corrective measures, as needed, to meet profitability expectations.
- Communicate with regional managers and national product line leaders on individual accounts, current and proposed producers, and make recommendations concerning operations, systems and procedures when appropriate.
- Participate in audits and/or underwriting meetings as required.
- Build and maintain quality relationships with key producers while simultaneously monitoring the entire appointed producer base for profitability and production.
- Review forms and pricing of competitors and be able to effectively market the Markel product within the competitive landscape
- Provide training or technical assistance to department underwriting support staff and less experienced underwriters.
- Handle referrals within your authority from the team.
What we're looking for:
- 5-7+ years of wholesale energy or environmental underwriting experience required;
- College degree preferred but not required;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong business acumen and capable of representing the organization externally;
- Excellent presentation skills – comfortable speaking in front or small and large groups;
- Ability to deliver results even when working to meet tight deadlines;
- Strong administrative skills and highly detail oriented;
- Ability to coordinate efforts with support staff to maximize overall productivity;
- Strong analytical skills including ability to analyze, understand, and propose policy language;
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing team member.
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on No other URL should be trusted for job Markel Group Careers.
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
We would also ask that you please report any job employment scams related to Markel to email@example.com.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Should you require any accommodation through the application process, please send an e-mail to the firstname.lastname@example.org.