Underwriting Assistant, Commercial Surety
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary purpose of this position is to support Underwriters and communicate directly with our agent partners and their customers. This position requires strong organization skills, an attention to detail, and the ability to apply past knowledge to new similar situations. Accurate and prompt preparation of surety bond documents to facilitate the Underwriter’s decision-making process is essential. This position also functions on a team responsible for receiving payments from prinicipals, accurately applying payment, and facilitates the prompt delivery of bond documents directly to principals. The ability to work on a team that shares responsibilities is essential.
- Provide direct support to Underwriters
- Prioritize phone calls and emails from agents and principals requesting commercial surety bonds.
- Communicate instructions and varying requirements for each type of commercial bond to agents.
- Organize and document bond files and applications for submission to Underwriter for approval.
- Accept payment information accurately and promptly.
- Monitor proprietary system generated email and suspense for action required.
- Monitor the issuance, renewal, maintenance and invoicing of bonds that are Direct Billed.
- Process and edit system-generated forms and letters.
- Communicate follow up procedures during bonding process, and track compliance.
- Proactively anticipate and resolve customer issues promptly.
- Update principal or agency information in systems.
- Monitor and assist to resolve agency billing and accounting issues.
- Maintain documents and clearly identify attachments to system bond files.
- Cancel bonds as requested by agents and calculate pro rata return premium.
- Follow specific written and verbal procedures to maintain consistency and accuracy for Underwriters.
- Backup for answering phones and reception duties.
- Perform special projects and others tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Work Experience/Skill Sets
- Prior experience in insurance underwriting support required
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to follow process and attention to details.
- Intermediate level of proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better
We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you:
In keeping with the values of the Markel Style, we strive to support our employees in living their lives to the fullest at home and at work.
- We offer competitive benefit programs that help meet our diverse and changing environment as well as support our employees’ needs at all stages of life.
- All full-time employees have the option to select from multiple health, dental and vision insurance plan options and optional life, disability, and AD&D insurance.
- We also offer a 401(k) with employer match contributions, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, PTO, corporate holidays and floating holidays, parental leave.
- Markel offers hybrid working schedules of 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
The base salary offered for the successful candidate will be based on compensable factors such as job-relevant education, job-relevant experience, training, licensure, demonstrated competencies, geographic location, and other factors.
Caution: Employment scams
Markel is aware of employment-related scams where scammers will impersonate recruiters by sending fake job offers to those actively seeking employment in order to steal personal information. Frequently, the scammer will reach out to individuals who have posted their resume online. These "job offers" include convincing offer letters and frequently ask for confidential personal information. Therefore, for your safety, please note that:
- All legitimate job postings with Markel will be posted on Markel Group Careers. No other URL should be trusted
- All legitimate communications with Markel recruiters will come from Markel.com email addresses.
We would also ask that you please report any job employment scams related to Markel to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Markel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic. This includes race; color; sex; religion; creed; national origin or place of birth; ancestry; age; disability; affectional or sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; genetic information, sickle cell trait, or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait; refusal to submit to genetic tests or make genetic test results available; medical condition; citizenship status; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, or family responsibilities; military or veteran status, including unfavorable discharge from military service; personal appearance, height, or weight; matriculation or political affiliation; expunged juvenile records; arrest and court records where prohibited by applicable law; status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence; public assistance status; order of protection status; status as a smoker or nonsmoker; membership or activity in local commissions; the use or nonuse of lawful products off employer premises during non-work hours; declining to attend meetings or participate in communications about religious or political matters; or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Should you require any accommodation through the application process, please send an e-mail to the email@example.com.