Team Lead, Underwriting
The Team Lead, Underwriting oversees the day-to-day operations and development of the Underwriter staff who support our internal and external partners. The Team Lead, Underwriting will provide guidance and instruction to help support all UW functions as well as coordinate with the operations team lead on agent communications and assist with improving existing processes. The Team Lead, Underwriting will serve as an escalation point for complex customer inquiries, questions and concerns. This individual will also be responsible for handling first line referrals. This role requires strong attention to detail, advanced interpersonal skills, a metrics-based approach to operations and the ability to work cooperatively with other teams/departments.
How You’ll Do It
- Provide guidance and instruction to support underwriter team members
- Manage underwriting team's adherence to targeted service levels.
- Oversee UW adherence to guidelines and procedures, while also evaluating processes and implementing improvements to better serve our partners.
- Coordinate "load balancing" with team members as necessary to meet SLAs.
- Ensure the team is trained and up to date on product appetite, pricing models, industry trends, etc.
- Provide any needed training to the team on process changes and system updates, update and maintain training and SOP materials.
- Serve as an escalation point for complex UW inquiries as well as other department inquiries & serve as first line referral underwriter for team members.
- Mentor, develop and grow team members for future needs and operational excellence
- Develop goals and metrics for team members and coach team members to meet and exceed performance indicators. Set clear expectations for deliverables and assign priorities that support the goals of the business.
- Provide continuous feedback and opportunities for professional development.
- Build and maintain useful documentation to help identify team knowledge gaps and build individual accountability and performance plans.
- Document performance, and provide recognition/reward for progress and provide feedback for improvement. Work in partnership with your leader on performance management.
- Identify hiring needs and recommend solutions to your leader. Participate in the interview process as needed to scale the team and organization as well as execution of effective team onboarding and training.
- Provide exceptional customer service by modeling the behaviors and strategies necessary to successfully interact and resolve the issues with partners in all channels.
- Present solutions to challenges the team may face and escalate accordingly within the Underwriting team, pod or interdepartmentally if needed
- Partner with Underwriting & Analytics leadership in maintaining a positive, customer-focused culture while ensuring all compliance and company policies are being met.
- Ad hoc leadership responsibilities
- Gather feedback from both internal teams and partners to improve efficiency.
- Work across departments to implement new processes, products or services specific to the partner channel.
- Assist the underwriting leadership team in providing reporting of data and benchmarking to the Pie leadership team.
- Facilitate cross functional teamwork and collaboration.
The Right Stuff
- High school diploma/GED is required.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience with some college coursework is preferred.
- ARM, CPCU, CIC, CWCP or other insurance designation is preferred.
- Minimum of 2-years experience in underwriting is required.
- Minimum of 6-months experience mentoring peers and/or direct reports is required.
- Experience directly supervising others in a production environment is preferred.
- Intermediate communication (written and verbal) skills, to deliver more complex information effectively.
- Intermediate problem solving skills to be able to manage complex tasks and work through to solutions with little guidance and direction.
- Intermediate awareness of your own tasks, and how it impacts the team and deliverables.
- Basic leadership skills and some general experience leading work groups or task forces in specific projects.
- Familiarity with G-Suite and cloud based programs is preferred.
- Knowledge of insurance underwriting and customer experience operations, best practices and processes required.
- Developing analytical skills: demonstrated ability to take various data points, interpret them, and create deliverables and action items.
- Ability to analyze current operations and develop options for improved efficiency, conversion or cost reduction.
- Key knowledge of service metrics and how to apply them.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.