Working at Pie Insurance as an Underwriting Associate requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time. Our Underwriting Associates are on the front lines, interacting with our Underwriters and Partners all day, every day. The Underwriting Associate I is responsible for reviewing and analyzing new business submissions, including revisions to existing quotes and binding policies being purchased. This role plays a part in building the Underwriting team’s robust portfolio by analyzing risk to confirm it is within our underwriting appetite and the scope of authority.
How You’ll Do It
- Process submissions that come from numerous channels and capture data in systems of record.
- Gather, consolidate, and input information from 3rd party services and partners.
- Conduct risk and exposure research around the types of activities employees are working on (businesses that have been submitted to Pie).
- Send out requests for additional information, quotes, and assist in communication between Underwriters, Agency Partners, and our Inside Sales team.
- Leverage workers’ compensation underwriting knowledge to assess risks to underwrite coverage.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Quickly and effectively process decision requests through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
The Right Stuff
- A high school degree or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- A minimum of one year of experience with commercial lines preferred, workers’ compensation or other P&C lines preferred, or relevant work experience
- Ability to produce quality work while managing a high-volume workload
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to context switch when working in a multi-state book of business
- Demonstrated ability to send accurate and timely information to internal teams and external partners which directly enhances and elevates the customer experience
- Experience verifying businesses using a variety of web-based research tools, like OSHA and SAFER, is preferred
- Knowledge of web-based and cloud platforms is required. Experience with Salesforce, Microsoft Excel, Google Suite and other systems highly preferred
- Developed written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely deliver information to internal and external audiences. Experience communicating in internal chat platforms, like Slack or Teams, preferred
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes in work processes and systems
- Actively acquiring and beginning to apply knowledge to grow in curiosity, tenacity, flexibility, and adaptability. Desire to improve how insurance operates in a technology driven environment
Actively acquiring and beginning to apply knowledge to grow in testing and learning, creativity, and a relentless commitment to improvement.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.