Core Contract Surety Underwriter
Zurich Insurance Group
Core Contract Surety Underwriter
Zurich North America is currently looking for an experienced Core Contract Surety Underwriter in our Central Pacific Region. This is a highly technical and market facing position and requires experience with Surety lines of business. This position will be located in our San Francisco office. This position will require approximately 20% travel and a company car will be provided. The territory for this role includes accounts in California, Nevada, and Hawaii.
This role will be filled at either the Account Executive Underwriter or AVP, Underwriting Officer level. The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicant’s experience and skill set relative to the qualifications listed for this position.
As a member of Zurich's Core Surety Underwriting Team, you will enjoy the opportunity to fully apply and hone your underwriting and marketing skills. Specifically, you will underwrite and analyze new and renewal Surety business utilizing The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels on assignments of higher technical complexity ensuring a high-level service to customers. Our Underwriters are Client Externally Focused and the job’s core deliverables rely on delivering service to external clients and/or customers. Typically involves building relationships and promoting the company.
This role is responsible for the following:
- Production and underwriting of new and renewal Surety business
- Managing of a large book of prominent accounts
- Internal marketing and production within Zurich North America in support of our cross-sell efforts
- Execution of the external marketing strategy
- Adherence to underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws, regulations, and the Zurich Way of underwriting
- Establish new as well as develop existing agency and broker relationships
- Working within limits and authorities on assignments of varying degrees of complexity
Account Executive Underwriter Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area, Finance, Accounting, Banking
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 6 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 1 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area, Finance, Accounting, Banking
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 4 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of line/s of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
- Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience with Microsoft Office
AVP, Underwriting Officer Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Apprentice program including an Associate Degree and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- Zurich Certified Apprentice program including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience working in a team environment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- In-depth knowledge of Surety line/s of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong broker relationships
- Superior skills in relationship building, active listening, needs analysis, and win-win negotiation
- Possess a high level of customer service by meeting or exceeding broker and or customer expectations with respect to required deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
Compensation for roles at Zurich varies depending on a wide array of factors including but not limited to the specific office location, role, skill set, and level of experience. As required by local law, Zurich provides in good faith a reasonable range of compensation for roles. For additional information about our Total Rewards, click here. Other rewards may include short term incentive bonuses and merit increases. Candidates with salary expectations outside of the range are encouraged to apply, and will be considered based on experience, skill, and education. The combined salary range for this position is $90,000.00 - $165,000.00. The starting salary range for the Account Executive Underwriter is $90,000.00- $135,000.00 and for the AVP, Underwriting Officer is $115,000.00 - $165,000.00.
As a condition of employment at Zurich, employees must adhere to any COVID-related health and safety protocols in place at that time (https://www.zurichna.com/careers/faq).
A future with Zurich. What can go right when you apply at Zurich?
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 150 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please click here to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Location(s): AM - San Francisco
Remote Working: Hybrid
Schedule: Full Time
Employment Sponsorship Offered: No
Linkedin Recruiter Tag: #LI-MF1 #LI-ASSOCIATE #LI-HYBRID
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland