Surety Underwriting Officer, AVP / VP
Zurich Insurance Group
Surety Underwriting Officer, AVP / VP
Zurich is currently looking for a Surety AVP Underwriting Officer or VP, Senior Underwriting Officer, to join our North Central Contract Surety team in Indianapolis, IN. Although our preference is for the individual to be based in Indianapolis, we would also consider individuals from Cincinnati, OH, and Louisville, KY. This is a work from home/remote role. You will be expected to travel as necessary to support the needs of the clients and to cultivate key broker relationships within the region.
The Contract Surety Underwriter will work to analyze and underwrite a book of new and renewal contract surety business. Underwriters will use the Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels on highly complex assignments, ensuring a high-level service to customers. In this role, you will partner with brokers and will utilize a strong sales execution mindset to write profitable business.
This role will be filled at either the Surety AVP Underwriting Officer or VP, Senior Underwriting Officer level. The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicant’s experience and skill set relative to the qualifications listed for this position.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Proactively seek new account opportunities
- Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity
- Make agent/broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
- Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals
- Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account
- Participate in Sales Team meeting as related to assigned brokers and / or territory
- Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account status within specified time frame
- Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts
- Develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit
- Contribute to development of u/w manuals, programs, and guidelines
- Lead complex technical or long-term (over 6 months) business projects to implement new or changed systems, programs, or products
- Investigate, recommend, and implement leading edge technical solutions when they meet customer needs
AVP Underwriting Officer Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing, Finance, Accounting, Banking area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich approved Apprenticeship program including an Associate Degree and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing, Finance, Accounting, Banking area
- Zurich approved Apprenticeship program including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience working in a team environment
- Knowledge of Surety line/s of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
VP, Senior Underwriting Officer Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 7 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing, Finance, Accounting, Banking area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 14 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing, Finance, Accounting, Banking area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 12 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree
- In-depth knowledge of Contract Surety lines of business
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong broker relationships
- Superior skills in relationship building, active listening, needs analysis, and win-win negotiation
- Possess a high level of customer service by meeting or exceeding broker and or customer expectations with respect to required deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
As a condition of employment at Zurich, employees must adhere to any COVID-related health and safety protocols in place at that time (https://www.zurichna.com/careers/faq).
A future with Zurich. What can go right when you apply at Zurich?
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 150 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please click here to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Location(s): AM - Indiana Virtual Office, AM - Kentucky Virtual Office, AM - Ohio Virtual Office
Remote Working: Yes
Schedule: Full Time
Employment Sponsorship Offered: No
Linkedin Recruiter Tag: #LI-MF1 #LI-ASSOCIATE #LI-REMOTE