Property Underwriter (Level I or Level II)
Zurich Insurance Group
Property Underwriter (Level I or Level II)
Zurich gives you the tools and support to construct a rewarding career in the Insurance industry. We are looking for a Property Underwriter (Level I or Level II) to work out of our Chicago office/territory. We are also open to hiring talent for our office in Overland Park, KS. This is a hybrid position requiring two days in office each week.
As Property Underwriter (Level I or Level II) you will have a chance to use your marketing and analytical skills along with your knowledge of buildings to analyze and underwrite new and renewal property business both in the US and internationally. This is a market facing position and we are seeking someone with a strong sales execution mindset and knowledge of commercial property policies. There will be 15%-20% travel for this position.
This role will be filled at either the Property Underwriter (Level I) or Property Underwriter (Level II)The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicant’s experience and skill set relative to the qualifications listed for this position.
Key Accountabilities of this role:
- Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- Develop, maintain & collaborate with Line of Business representatives and other business-related needs, as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain relationships with distributors (agents & brokers) in support of business retention and acquisition and works with customers and distributors (agents & brokers) to determine their insurance related needs and provide solutions.
- Support the organization's sales culture by being a Help Point for agents, brokers and customers.
- Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
- Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
- Make broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
Basic Qualifications Property Underwriter I:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 1 or more years of experience in the Insurance, Banking, Mortgage, Finance, Construction or Market Facing area.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 2 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of the insurance industry and the legal and regulatory environment
- Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
Basic Qualifications Property Underwriter II:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 6 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 1 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 4 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of line/s of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
- Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Commercial Property underwriting experience and broker relationships in Midwest region
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Strong negotiation skills
- Superior skills in relationship building, active listening, needs analysis, and win-win negotiating
Possess knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of progression of positions of increasing responsibility.
- PC and related software skills
- CPCU and ARM a plus
As a condition of employment at Zurich, employees must adhere to any COVID-related health and safety protocols in place at that time (https://www.zurichna.com/careers/faq).
A future with Zurich. What can go right when you apply at Zurich?
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 150 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please click here to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Location(s): AM - Chicago, AM - Overland Park
Remote Working: Hybrid
Schedule: Full Time
Employment Sponsorship Offered: No
Linkedin Recruiter Tag: #LI-BN1 #LI-ASSOCIATE #LI-HYBRID
Nearest Major Market: Chicago