Market Facing Underwriter, Middle Markets (Mid-Senior or Senior)
Zurich Insurance Group
Market Facing Underwriter, Middle Markets (Mid-Senior or Senior)
At Zurich you can learn, develop, and lead while being authentically you every day. We believe our future is brighter together because our voices are diverse and heard. Our behaviors are inclusive, our actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. We are an insurance leader committed to developing our people, focusing on our customers, and building a sustainable future for our communities.
Zurich is seeking an experienced Middle Markets Underwriter (Mid-Senior or Senior Level) for our office in Independence, OH. While this position will be based out of our Independence, OH office, you will have the flexibility to work on a hybrid basis. You will partner with your manager to set a flexible work schedule that supports you, our customers, and our brokers and agents. We are open to having someone work remotely within the State of OH. This role will require you to be visible in the marketplace to meet with our agents and brokers.
Middle Markets is a key business segment within Zurich, and we are focused on attracting top customer advocates who possess a sales mindset, strong technical underwriting skills and solution focused problem-solving abilities. Our industry focus includes (not limited to) Financial Institutions, General Industries, Manufacturing, Technology, Professional Services and Real Estate. Zurich Middle Markets offers end to end solutions for our customers inclusive of international programs.
This role will be filled at either the Mid-Senior Middle Market Underwriter or Senior Middle Market Underwriter level. The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicant’s experience and skill set relative to the qualifications listed for this position.
As a Mid-Senior or Senior Middle Markets Underwriter you will handle complex new and renewal Middle Markets business and serve as a Subject Matter Expert on the team. As a member of Zurich's Underwriting Team, you will enjoy the opportunity to fully apply and hone your underwriting and marketing skills while building relationships with Select Brokers in the Great Lakes Region. This is an exciting time to join Middle Markets at Zurich!
The Middle Markets Underwriter is responsible for:
- Serving as a customer industry advocate with a focus on improving the customer experience by understanding their risk and offering the best end to end solution for their insurance needs.
- Using a disciplined approach to exposure evaluation, risk assessment and pricing
- Using risk insights, data and models to drive informed decisions at point of sale
- Identifying gaps and aligning Zurich’s products and value proposition to offer a solution that provides the contract certainty the customer needs
- Demonstrating strong analytical skills and executing as an innovative advisor
- Underwriting, analyzing and generating new and renewal business
- Market facing and production within the growing Middle Markets division
- Administering and monitoring underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations and rating manual rules
- Developing and maintaining agency and broker relationships
- Working within broad limits and authorities on highly complex assignments
Mid-Senior (Level II) Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 6 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 1 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 4 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of line/s of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
- Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience with Microsoft Office
Senior Underwriter (Level III) Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong retail broker relationships within the region
- Superior skills in relationship building, active listening, needs analysis, and win-win negotiating
- Possess knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- PC and related software skills
- CPCU and ARM a plus
As a condition of employment at Zurich, employees must adhere to any COVID-related health and safety protocols in place at that time (https://www.zurichna.com/careers/faq).
A future with Zurich. What can go right when you apply at Zurich?
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 150 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please click here to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Location(s): AM - Independence, AM - Cincinnati, AM - Columbus, AM - Ohio Virtual Office
Remote Working: Hybrid
Schedule: Full Time
Employment Sponsorship Offered: No
Linkedin Recruiter Tag: #LI-WL1 #LI-ASSOCIATE #LI-HYBRID